If you want to know how to make pillows the easy way and avoid trying to figure out how to sew in a zipper this tutorial is just for you!!!
How to Make Pillows
I am sharing some of the fun DIY’s that I used to pull my Christmas decor together this year (full tour here) but if you wan to make a pillow cover for any season of the year this tutorial will do the trick! learning how to make pillows is not really that hard at all. Trust me! I can pretty much only accomplish sewing in a straight line so if I can teach you how to make pillows anyone can do it! This tutorial will cover creating pillows with out a zipper and using an envelope closure.
Please note this post contains affiliate links.
Supplies Needed to Make Pillows
- 2 Tea Towels or other hand towels (mine are from hobby lobby these are similar though)]
- Pom Pom trim if its not already on your tea towel
- Coordinating thread for your machine I just used white
- a sewing machine (mine is a testy jerk! Get this one instead!!)
- sewing scissors
- pillow insert ( these are the BEST! they look and feel like down inserts but without the feathers! also super affordable!)
- I also used a pre made cover as my template but you can measure with a sewing measuring tape instead!
Steps for How to Make Pillows
- Measure and cut out the solid single piece of fabric side for your pillow mine was 16×16 inches with seam allowances.
- Next cut out the second tea towel using the pom poms as the edge of the top envelope closure. I cut it about 16x 10 inches
- Use the salvage from the rest of the pom pom towel and make the bottom of the envelope closure make sure its not too long so its easy to slide your pillow inside but they should overlap at least 2 inches. Remember: the pom pom edge goes on top of this second piece.
- Place your solid fabric face up on the table
- Layer the two envelope closure pieices right side down. first put pom poms face down then the second piece face down on top of the pom poms these two will lay flat overlapping about 2-3 inches in the middle.
- Trim off a single pom pom on both side edges so they don’t get caught in your sewing machine!
- Once you have sandwiched all 3 layers of fabric right sides facing the inside pin the edges in place
- Now sew a straight line son all 4 sides. I also added a zig zag line to the outer most edge for extra durability
- flip right side out and you’re done!!! That is how to make pillows that are reversible and awesome!
Here is my finished pillow displayed in the various ways on my sofa for my Christmas home tour:
For full video instructions on how to make a pillow, I made a full video detailing all the steps for you to see live!! and its at the top of the post! II hope this “how to make a pillow” DIY really inspires you to get creative to search out some fun tea towels at the store and start making pillows to spruce up some spaces in your home!!! Thank you so much for stopping by!
If you enjoyed this idea take a minute and pin the image below to save it for later!