Hello and Welcome to part 2 of my fall farmhouse inspired home tour of 2017!! If you missed part 1 you can find it HERE! Today I am sharing a few simple tips for styling mantles and sharing my bedroom all bedecked for fall! If you remember last years fall bedroom SHOWN HERE was full of warm grays and white it was very simple and easy! This year is also a pretty simple concept! I love decorating the faux mantle I DIY’ed HERE from season to season! It’s not too big making it easy to find simple pieces usually already stashed somewhere in my home to layer on top of it! Disclaimer this post contains affiliate links.
Below I shared a full video walkthrough of the space sharing where each element came from and my thoughts behind decorating this space this year! I hope you enjoy! Be sure to check out my YouTube channel for lots more DIY and decorating videos HERE!
5 Tips for Seasonal Shelf Styling
1. My first tip for seasonal shelf styling is to shop your own home!! It’s easy to feel overwhelemed and like you need to go out and buy all new seasonal décor to start decorating but that is certainly not the case!! I love to incorporate a few seasonal items often recycled from years previous and decorate around simple décor items I already have. For example the shiplap frame which I made several months back, and the pitchers and white plates are all items I’ve had for a while! They are great transitional décor pieces because I can add a few fall touches to them without having to break the bank buying all new décor!
2. Layer! I think this has to be my favorite tip! Its natural to want to place things on a shelf straight on, such as a single picture or art piece and then put two items on either side. This works and is something I do from time to time as well, but my favorite looks have layers to them! I have layered this fall farmhouse shelf by putting the plates in the back and then placing the pitchers and smaller white ceramicware in front of them. It just adds more interest to the shelf and helps if it feel more complete! Don’t be afraid to try some layers on your next shelf!! Start with taller items in the back and put shorter elements in the front!
3. Use free printables!! This is an incredibly affordable way to add art to your shelves! I share new farmhouse inspired printables each week here on my blog and have shared quite a few new fall ones this season! I created the shiplap frame so that I could easily tape in free printable art and transition from one season to the next! I love the way the “Hello Fall” print from THIS set of 10 free fall printables looks against the wood grain backgournd!!
4. Faux stems. I love to use faux stems to decorate with!! I often will search for faux stems at Joanns, Michales or Hobby Lobby and base my seasonal décor around the stems I pick! During new seasons these stores often have %50 off coupons or just deals on their fall stems and so it makes it another affordable way to decorate for the fall season! The cotton picks that you see on the left are from Hobby Lobby several years ago. I store all my seasonal picks and stems in large Tupperware bins like THESE and use them over and over!!
5. Scavenge the outdoors. What the heck do I mean by this?!! Use items from nature such as plants, stems, twigs, etc. to decorate for the seasons! This is a great way to incorporate natural elemnts into your décor that are true to the season and your geographical location. The dried stems you see on the right of the shelf, are babysbreath I dreid out from my spring décor! They add that perfect rustic touch. In years past I have picked weeds from the empy lot next to my house and they looked just like faux wheat! I used them all over my home that year and I didn’t even have to spend a dime!
My shelf this year didn’t cost me anything to put together! By shopping my home and using the tips I’ve shared above I was able to put together this shelf on a budget and it’s still something I love and it complements the rest of the space!
Room Source List:
- Mantle Shelf DIY
- Side Tables Dresser and Mirror Craigslist finds
- Paint Color used on Dresser and End tables is Shutter Gray Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint
- Rug from Rugs USA
- White Metal Basket -Hayneedle.com
- Books- Goodwill/Thrifted
- Wood Crate at bottom of end table-HomeGoods
- Black Sconces-Hayneedle
- Shiplap Frame DIY
- Pitchers on Shelf-HomeGoods
- Plates and hobnail glass on shelf-Thrifted
- Cotton Stems-Hobby Lobby
- Bed Skirt-Amazon
- Bed Quilt with Stars- Little Bits Everything Shop
- Dark Gray Pillows-Little Bits Everything Shop
- White Pillows with Gray Piping-Little Bits Everything Shop
- Crochet Pillow-Gable Lane
- White Ruffle Duvet and Shams-Amazon
- Throw Blanket-Hayneedle
- Jenny Lind Bed Frame-Thrifted
- White Mirror-Thrifted
- Wood Décor above Dresser mirror -Target
- Shiplap Wall DIY
- Paint Color-Swiss Coffee
- Curtain Rod Target
I have teamed up with some other amazing bloggers this week to bring you our homes decorated for fall! Be sure to check out the other fall mantles today as well as the beautiful other homes that have been shared all week!
Front Porches on Tuesday
Fall Recipes on Wednesday
Tablescapes on Thursday
Mantles on Friday
Thanks so much for stopping by my fall bedroom tour today! Be sure to comeback Monday for the final reveal of my fall home tour!!!